Monday, November 2, 2015

Kang Gary interview with Sina






Q: Recently rap survival shows are popular in Korea. Do you watch them? What’s your opinion?

A: Yes, I enjoyed them. Rather than other things, I hope that rappers will turn out well after these shows. There are many artists working really hard, and through these programs people get to know more about them. So I hope that these shows will help them with both their music and income. We have big age difference, but I myself had a hard time making music when I was young. Also, in today Korean music scene, despite Korean Wave is doing well, I feel that the number of independent artists are decreasing. So maybe these shows will help them improve in many aspects.




Q: Why don’t you play the male lead in your MV this time?
A: I’m afraid that if I do, the MV will look like Running Man.

Q: But don’t you think showing your fans your handsome side more often is a good thing?
A: But I’m not that handsome…I don’t want to disturb the music…

Q: Don’t you want to play the male lead role in your MV?
A: Acting is not my profession, so it’s pretty hard. And about the MV of “JOA”, because it’s an erotic story, we need someone who’s good-looking and good at acting. Maybe in the future I will do more lip-sync parts in my MV.

Q: But you acted along Song Ji Hyo in “Emergency Couple” before. You don’t have confidence with your acting?
A: It’s not that I don’t have confidence. I love movies, and I do have ambition to act. But you have to act well so that the viewers don’t feel awkward. If there’s any role I can do well, I will learn and try to act. But if it’s a role I’m not good at, I should let someone who’s better than me play it. That way the role can be completed perfectly. I should restrain myself.

Q: Is there any interesting story when filming “Emergency Couple”?
A: Usually Song Ji Hyo and I interact well in Running Man, so we had a great time filming the drama. Because we’re comfortable with each other, there wasn’t any NG. Ji Hyo told me to act comfortably, so I enjoyed the role.

Q: What type of character do you think you’re suitable with? What type of role do you want to try?
A: In “Emergency Couple”, mine was just a small cameo role. But I think I prefer funny or dumb characters like in the drama, rather than serious characters.

Q: These days characters that have personality disorder is popular in drama, like Jo In Sung’s character in “It’s ok, that’s love”. Do you want to challenge that kind of role?
A: I want to try something crazier than that.

Q: Do you want to imitate other RM members’ personality in order to play that role?
A: But I have to follow the screenplay so it’s hard to do that. Jo In Sung hyung is a great actor, that’s why he can play roles like that. It’s really fun to watch, but it’s not easy playing a character who has personality disorder. But I think it’ll be fun.

Q: Do you have any plan to do collaboration with girl groups?
A: Recently Korean girl groups sing really well. This is not a girl group, but personally I like Ailee’s voice, so hope that I have a chance to work with her.

Q: Will you act with Ailee in the MV of that song?
A: No.

Q: Which actor you want to cast for that MV?
A: I have to wait until that time to decide.

Q: Recently rap survival shows are popular in Korea. Do you watch them? What’s your opinion?
A: Yes, I enjoyed them. Rather than other things, I hope that rappers will turn out well after these shows. There are many artists working really hard, and through these programs people get to know more about them. So I hope that these shows will help them with both their music and income. We have big age difference, but I myself had a hard time making music when I was young. Also, in today Korean music scene, despite Korean Wave is doing well, I feel that the number of independent artists are decreasing. So maybe these shows will help them improve in many aspects.

Q: How did you get the inspiration to write the title track?
A: The title track is about breakup, and I wrote the lyrics based on my experience. The song is about breakup, but the chorus “Go out and get some air, to the place where no one comes”, these words are not only about breakup. To people who’re working hard or who’re in their 20s looking for a job, it can be a healing song. When they feel pressured because of their work or need to relieve their stress, they can go out and get some air, just like the chorus. So it depends on how the listeners interpret the song.

Q: Many artists said drinking alcohol will bring them inspiration to compose.
A: Of course there are times I drink, like when watching movies. Although I like alcohol, I don’t drink well. I can only drink one soju bottle, or one bottle and a half. But I’m the type that once I drink , I easily get wasted and won’t be able to work after that. So usually I only drink one can of beer then process with composing.

Q: Leessang will hold a concert at the end of this year. Does this concert have any special meaning to you?
A: To be able to stand on the stage is already a meaningful thing. Also this will be the first time I perform since I released my solo album, so it’s a meaningful concert to me.

Q: Do you prepare any special performance for this concert?
A: I’ve been thinking, and still considering about it. Normally after I release my album, I don’t have many chances to perform my songs on stages in Korea. So I’m preparing special performances for my solo songs.

Q: Will you invite any other artist or friend to your concert?
A: At the end of the year, all the popular artists are busy. But if time permits, I will try to invite them.

Q: Will you do any fan service on the stage? Like showing off your abs? (Clip of this part click here)
A: Abs? How do I show off something I don’t have?

Q: Do you exercise frequently?
A: During one year I composed this album, I rarely exercised. Originally it’s my hobby. But now maybe I should start work out again to increase my stamina for the concert.

Q: We’ll look forward to it.
A: For what? My abs? You can’t.

Q: Fans are curious about how you knew of the nickname “Gouge”.
A: Maybe I first saw it on SNS. I saw it in the comments and I asked my Chinese teacher. My teacher said it’s the nickname Chinese fans gave me, maybe she also looked it up on the internet. Moreover, my Korean name Gary is also not Gary in English, it means “dog” in Korean, so I think the nickname is perfect and I like it so much.

Q: How is your Chinese study recently? Did you learn any new word or sentence?
A: I didn’t. I must tell you honestly. Not only because I’m busy, but also because I have to focus on composing. I’m the type that can focus on only one thing at a time. Now I completed my album, maybe I should start learning again.

Q: Among Running Man members, who’s the best at Chinese?
A: We are almost the same , we can only greet people in Chinese. If I have to pick someone, that should be Suk Jin hyung. His Chinese sounds the most natural.

Q: Which part of your body or your face is the most attractive to the opposite sex?
A: How can I say that by my own mouth?
Q: I’m being serious…
A: Which part do you think it is?
Q: I think your lips are attractive when you smile.
A:  It’s my lips, then.
Q: Why?
A:  Why? I don’t know why. I never stand in front of the mirror and ask myself which part in my face is attractive.
Q: Then at which day do you feel you are handsome?
A: Normally, in 9 days out of 10 days I keep asking myself: “Why am I so ugly?”
Q: Then in that 1 day left when do you feel you are handsome?
A: When I lost weight. When my face doesn’t look stuffy.

Q: Recently men who’re smart are popular in Korea. You think what makes you sexy?
A: Such a hard question. When working hard, when focusing on making music or when performing on stage…Generally isn’t the try-my-best appearance beautiful? No matter if it’s a man or a woman, that’s when people are the most attractive. I think maybe that’s when I’m sexy.

Q: Normally you like eating alone at home or eating out?
A: Before starting to compose this album, I usually went to night club and drank a lot. But then I thought I should stop partying, and after that in two year almost all I did was composing. Now I don’t even feel like partying like I did before. I’m thinking about starting composing again.

Q: Then what do you do to relieve your stress?
A: It seems composing is also how I reduce my stress. I write lyrics to relieve my stress. Although composing is stressful, at the same time it also reduces my stress. So these days I’m into composing, it makes me feel like I can come back to when I was a rookie.

Q: Not long ago you appeared in a talk show with many stuffs from your house. You don’t clean up frequently?
A:  I don’t. Therefore every time I move my house, I throw away many things. After I wake up, I have to compose, so I don’t really want to spend time on cleaning up. I’m the type of person who leaves everything on the floor.

Q: To Gary, Running Man is…
A:  The luck I didn’t expect?

Q: So you think getting to know Running Man members is a lucky thing?
A: Yes. Doing this program is also a lucky thing. Through Running Man I gained many fans from China, from Asia, from Korea. I think Running Man is a great luck of my life.

Q: To Gary, Song Ji Hyo is…
A: A good colleague. 

Q: Between you two are just business relationship?
A: There are some people who thinks it’s a business relationship, think that we play the fake couple game to earn money. Of course we may look like that to some people. But there are also people who like the lovey-dovey chemistry between us. The relationship between me and Song Ji Hyo...Because we have been doing Running Man for almost 6 years, now we play around with each other like a habit. Other members are also like that. Kwang Soo being a dumb kid for 6 years is not for earning money. All of us now do what you see because we want to build characters that bring laughter to people. Song Ji Hyo and I really joke around and say these cheesy comments as a habit. Although there are people who hate seeing us like that, we’re doing it for people who enjoy it.

Q: To Gary, music is…
A: An evil friend. Sometimes I hate doing it, but eventually I can’t help doing it. It’s something I can’t give up.

Q: To Gary, fans are…
A:  Are “xie xie”. I’m thankful and they’re my luck.

[Translated by: mondaycouplefan_funny142]
[Please take out with full credit]


No comments:

Post a Comment